For centuries, medicines have been prepared from herbs. Green raw materials are the most accessible and suitable for promoting health and combating ailments in most cases. Infusions, decoctions, ointments treated hair and skin. The effectiveness of herbal remedies is explained by the presence of phytoncides, vitamins, flavonoids, phytoestrogens, minerals and many other valuable substances in their composition. Herbal hair masks are still used, mainly by women who do not feel like supporting the modern beauty industry and spending money on expensive and not always safe cosmetics.
The main advantage of herbal products is their naturalness. True, like any effective drug, they can be harmful if used unreasonably. Therefore, before buying dry raw materials in a pharmacy or preparing them yourself, you should figure out what these or other plants are used for and in what way.
Benefits of herbal masks
In the pharmacy, you can find a large selection of dry herbs, including those packaged in convenient bags. Herbal raw materials are inexpensive, and it is convenient to use them - some masks do not even need to be washed off, just rub them into your hair.
Decoctions without additives do not pollute or weigh down the hair. Herbal masks are used twice or thrice a week for 1-2 months, sometimes longer. Periodically, some herbs are replaced by others.
However, plants (with the exception of chamomile) can cause allergies. Therefore, all masks before the first use should be tested on a hidden area of the skin.
How to apply
Perhaps, only oil-based products with the addition of herbal extracts can be called masks. In addition to them, there are rinses (aqueous solutions) and compositions for rubbing in (decoctions or infusions). All of them are used in different ways.
- Infusions (water and alcohol) and decoctions are rubbed into freshly washed and towel-dried hair roots and the hair itself. After that, a warming cap is put on. After 30-60 minutes, the product is washed off. If it contains fatty ingredients, you will need shampoo. If without fatty components, then simply rinse the hair under running water and, if desired, treat it with conditioners or a similar product with a light consistency.
- Natural rinses (based on decoctions, infusions and pharmaceutical extracts of herbs) are most often used after washing or instead of it. As a rule, it is not necessary to wash them off: since they do not contain fatty components, they do not pollute the hair. Some rinses are applied only to the ends of the hair after any water procedures, whether it's visiting a sauna or swimming in the sea.
- Medicines based on oils, clay, honey, eggs are distributed over the hair (and their roots) for at least half an hour before washing. Some require light rubbing in. They usually work better if the head is covered with a shower cap and a towel turban to warm. Oily masks are washed off with warm water and shampoo, and then the hair is treated with conditioner or rinsed with herbal decoction (or a very weak vinegar solution).
How to stop baldness, stimulate growth and strengthen hair roots
- Take 2 tablespoons of coltsfoot flowers and nettle leaves, pour 1 glass of boiling water. Let cool, strain and massage into roots. Wash off after 60 minutes if necessary. Repeat the procedure twice a week.
- Take 1 tablespoon of calamus and chopped burdock root, add 6 tablespoons of hop cones. Pour 1 liter of boiling water, boil for 10 minutes, cool and strain through a sieve. Use as a rinse three times a week.
- Thoroughly wash nettle leaves, pour vodka and keep in a dark place for 7 days. Rub in the skin of the head 1-2 times a week. No need to rinse.
- Take linden flowers, chamomile, sage, plantain and oregano in equal proportions, pour boiling water, let cool and strain. Rinse your hair with this product after washing. The effect will be noticeable after 14 days.
How to restore the structure of dry hair
- Burdock root is a universal medicine for hair of any type. It is dug up in late autumn and dried. Then it is crushed, poured with boiling water (for 1 part of the raw material - 10 parts of water) and boiled for 15 minutes. Then filter, cool and rub into a clean head skin. Rinse off is not required. You can also rinse your hair after washing with it.
- 15 grams of herbs (sage, linden flowers, peppermint, chamomile, oregano, plantain, wormwood or a mixture thereof) pour 1 cup boiling water and keep for 2 hours. Then apply the product to clean hair, wrap to warm and leave for 1 hour. You can also simply rinse your hair with this composition after washing. And the most “difficult” way is to combine a few tablespoons of the infusion with 1 tablespoon of castor oil and distribute it through the hair 1-1.5 hours before washing. The procedure is recommended to be carried out twice a week.
- To heal split ends, prepare an infusion of oak bark (1 tablespoon per 1 cup of boiling water) and combine with 1 tablespoon of shi oil. After each hair cut, apply this mixture to the ends. Don't rinse.
How to get rid of dandruff
- Pour 1 tablespoon of St. John's wort with 2 glasses of vodka and keep for a week. Rub this composition into the hair roots every 3 days. It doesn't need to be washed off.
- Prepare a strong infusion of calendula (1 tablespoon per 100 ml of water). Mix 1 tablespoon of infusion with 2 tablespoons of aloe extract and 1 raw chicken yolk. Spread over the head skin and leave under a towel for 1 hour. Wash off with shampoo.
- For dry dandruff, mix equal proportions of alcohol tincture of calendula and castor oil. Rub the product into the hair roots and leave for 30-40 minutes, then rinse with shampoo.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of calamus with 1 cup of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Cool, strain and rub into clean hair, do not rinse.
Alcohol-based tinctures stimulate hair growth.
How to reduce fat
Most often, hop cones, oak bark, horsetail, nettle leaves, St. John's wort, birch, oregano, sage, plantain, burdock root are used to care for greasy hair. Due to the content of tannic astringents, they regulate the work of the sebaceous glands that produce a substance that lubricates the hair, open clogged pores, disinfect the skin and prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Take 2 tablespoons of chopped nettle, the same amount of calendula and 1 tablespoon of oak bark. Pour raw materials with 1.5 liters of freshly boiled water, cover with a lid and leave to brew. After half an hour, strain the liquid and rinse clean hair with it several times (it is more convenient to do this in a large bowl).
- Combine chopped wormwood and oak bark (1 tablespoon each) with 3 finely chopped bay leaves. Pour 1 cup boiling water, let cool. Then rub the infusion into a clean head skin, and the rest into the hair. Warm your head with a towel, after 1 hour, rinse without shampoo. If using a conditioner, apply it only to the ends of your hair.
- Nettle, linden flowers and chamomile (1 tablespoon each) pour 250-300 ml of boiling water. Crumble a piece of black bread into this mixture and leave for an hour. Strain, massage the medicine into the head skin and wrap your head in a towel to warm. Wash off after 40-60 minutes without using shampoo.
Changing the shade of hair with herbal remedies
Infusions and decoctions of herbs are used as natural dyes.
- For lightening and updating golden hues, chamomile, lemon juice, rhubarb, saffron are suitable.
- Brunettes and redheads are recommended: onion peel, rosemary, walnut, chestnut leaf, oak bark, henna.
Rosemary and lemon juice should not be used to tone dry and damaged hair.